Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Art of Chivalry....is dead.

The Art of Chivalry...hmmm. In this day and age dare I say the art of chivalry is dead. Of course it is!! No need to completely blame this one on men. I think it is more our fault than it is theirs. I am one of those women who doesn't need a man. I can pay my own bills, alone. I can paint my house, alone. I can travel, alone. I can raise my daughter, alone. Take care of my mother, alone. Yes I am the epitome of the modern woman of the 21st century. Yet something is missing. Where is my knight in shining armor? Did I scare him away not behaving as a damsel in distress? I want to be whisked away and taken care of. There is a certain security with that thought. Everything will be alright as long as I have my strong man beside me, who I trust to help me through life's misery. Men today expect their woman to be their own men...Confused? I am too. This is where some men might be offended. There was a time, not very long ago that men took on the roles of the master of the house. Granted in todays economy both parties have to work. I accept that but where is the chivalry? My grandmother and poppy were the sweetest couple to ever wed. My Poppy was the master of his house and my grandmother was his queen. He drove her around the corner to do laundry, and did all the shopping and most of the cooking. She wasn't a very good cook and in an Italian family the better cook is the chef. She was a mean old cranky bitch but never to him. I never heard of them fighting, in fact, my mother insisted they never had an argument. We know there are women who demand to be taken care of and degrades her man the end result, is a resentful distrusting man who feels under appreciated. That man is now useless, he will go on to treat all women as if they were greedy spoiled bitches. These are the opportunist women who have ruined it all for the women who want their King. Where are the days of wine and roses? Of holding hands and kissing under a full  moon? If my man wanted to take care of me and said "Baby, you stay home and write another book. I will take care of everything." I would cook for him, I would clean for us, I would run errands. All these things I would do out of love. I would hope he was taking care of me for the same reason. If I were treated the same way my grandmother was treated. I would be my Kings Queen and he can be his own man. I don't want the role of being the man and I shouldn't have to play it. Men are not men anymore, we women have emasculated them to being toys and playthings. We act like there are thousands at our disposal when real men are a dwindling species. We hold them with no regard and get angry when we are treated the same exact way we treat them. I am a lady and would love to be treated that way. There should never be conditions in any relationship. We do for each other out of respect and affection. Love is a two way street and I want to be on the same side and going in the same direction as the one I love.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Remy...Loved your thoughts, your experiences must have been very profound. There are men in the world that chivalry has been passed down to. I would hope your expectations aren't too high. Go for joy. Share joy with your daughter. Childhood is a short experience and children need as much joy as possible to be a secure adult. Chivalry may be dying but joy is not. Challenge your self to be a joyful person and to pass real human joy on to your daughter. If you practise joy....chivalrous men will be opening doors for you.
    .

    ReplyDelete