Friday, September 21, 2012

I AM A REAL AUTHOR.....

Recently I was asked to do an interview to promote myself as a first time Author. I was happy. I still don't see myself as any one special until today. I was told by a friend of mine that his friend has a bookstore and I should call her to set up a book signing. I would love to do a book signing so of course when I spoke to him again I asked him for the information. He quickly said "Well I spoke with her and she doesn't promote self published authors" I was floored. I am not a self published author. In fact it took me many years to get published. If any one reading this knows; the publishing industry is a selfish bastard and if you aren't a best selling author already, a low budget, unimaginative erotica novelist, or a trashy reality star your chances of getting published are almost zip. It was a difficult time in my life attempting to achieve my dream of being a published author and with the way of digital reading and bookstores closing, I thought it would never happen. When it actually happened it was surreal. My publisher kept telling me "You need to step up and act like an author. Act like you are a star because you are one in 11 million! Everyone you know should know you are a published author." It all sounds wonderful, but in reality I was and still am just Dee. So now I have to redeem myself to this woman who just owns a crappy book store. She's not an Author and yet now I have to defend myself because she was told I was self published. She will decide whether I am promotable to sit in her little store and sell books for her. To be completely honest I would rather give my books away  than promote her crappy little store. I know it isn't her fault she thought I was self published because that is what she was told but shouldn't people do a little research or at least ask a question as to whether or not I am legitimately published. F.Scott was a self published author. So I would like to think I am in the same league as he was. It makes me wonder how many people there are that think I am self published. My publisher told me most people never meet a published author. Authors are mysterious and usually reclusive.Also, most people assume authors are rich, which I did find extremely comical I am far from rich even with being published. I went to family gathering, I noticed a difference in my extended family; immediately I felt very self conscience. They were talking to me as if they never met me and one cousin even mentioned the hotel I was staying in and made a comment about how expensive it was. I was mortified. I was sharing a room with my mother and sister. Mommy always pays. I didn't say anything but I felt so out of place in my own family's home.  I would never even think these things were true to fact but my publisher was right. So from now on I am going to listen to him because obviously he knows best and from this moment on I am Dee Remy successful published author to anyone that cares.

No comments:

Post a Comment